What is Occupational Therapy (OT)?
- Self Care: feeding/bathing/dressing
- Leisure: everything you do for fun
- Work/School: your work (including work at home) and student work
Your life is made up of occupations—meaningful everyday activities. These occupations can include many roles, such as being a parent, a friend, a spouse, a tennis player, an artist, a cook, or a musician. We generally don’t think about our daily occupations until we have trouble doing them. Everyone has occupations— from the toddler whose occupations are play and learning to develop important skills, to the older adult whose occupations are engaging with family and friends and managing his or her home. If you are recovering from an accident or injury or are diagnosed with an orthopedic or neurological condition, your valued occupations may be disrupted. Occupational therapy incorporates your valued occupations into the rehabilitation process.
By taking the full picture into account—a person’s psychological, physical, emotional, and social make-up—occupational therapy assists people in:
- Achieving their goals
- Functioning at the highest possible level
- Concentrating on what matters most to them
- Maintaining or rebuilding their independence
- Participating in the everyday activities that they need to do or that simply make life worth living
Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants are experts in helping people perform the occupations they need and want to do every day.
Our Occupational Therapy interventions can include:
Traditional physical rehabilitation: stretching, exercising, manual/massage techniques, modalities (heat/ice, e-stim, ultrasound etc.)
Upper extremity rehabilitation: Orthotics/splinting, such as functional (to be used with activity) and resting types.
Neurological rehab: MS, Stroke, Parkinsons etc…
Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy Associates, Inc (OSPTA), which was founded in 1984, has over 30 locations that are committed to personalized “hands-on” care. With our professional and experienced staff, OSPTA is a leader in providing high quality occupational therapy throughout the south western Pennsylvania and north western West Virginia areas.
Occupational Therapy is currently offered at the following locations:
- Cranberry Township
- Monongahela Hand Center
- Mt. Lebanon
You have the right to choose your occupational therapy provider, so why not choose the one who has skilled local professional therapists (with an average of 14 years of experience), convenient community locations/hours, convenient and free parking, specialty services, and is committed to “hands-on” therapy.
Common conditions treated in our practice include:
- Upper Extremity Orthopedic and Neurological Injuries
- Independent living challenges
- Post-Surgical Upper Extremity Rehabilitation Programs
- Shoulder, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand pain
- Numbness/Tingling in the arm to hands
- Upper Extremity Joint Replacement
- Grip and Pinch weakness/coordination issues
- Carpal Tunnel, Tennis Elbow, Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
- Trigger Finger, Cubital Tunnel, Golfers Elbow, CMC (thumb) arthritis
- Muscle/Tendon injuries/repairs, Cumulative Trauma
- Arm, forearm, wrist, digit/hand fractures
- Brachial plexus compression or injury
- Workman’s Compensation Injuries
- Automobile Accident Injuries
- Home or Work Ergonomic issues
- Sports Injuries
- Plus many more….
Contact your local OSPTA office for more information or to schedule an appointment.