Do you feel unsteady while walking? Are you afraid you are going to fall? Have you fallen in the past? If you answered yes to any of these questions, OSPTA physical therapy can help! Falls are the leading cause of injury and/or death in the elderly, however, 70% of falls are preventable!
Research has identiﬁed many risk factors that contribute to falling. Many of these factors can be improved. The most common factors that contribute to falling include:
- Leg weakness, arthritis, or osteoporosis
- Difficulty walking and maintaining balance
- Taking certain medications
- Dizziness with changing your position
- Poor vision or hearing
- Problems with feet and/or shoes
- Hazards around the home
Physical therapy can help prevent falls by improving your strength & balance, ﬂexibility, and reaction time. Our therapists will discuss ways to reduce fall hazards around your home. Our program has demonstrated a reduction in falls by up to 35%!
Our Balance Training & Fall Prevention program consists of:
- A thorough examination to test your strength, balance and ﬂexibility
- A home exercise program to help you maintain improvements that you have achieved
- Safety tips for the home to help you eliminate any hazards that can lead to falls
- Our staﬀ uses a “hands-on” approach and will work with you on an individual basis to help you meet your goals
Talk to you doctor about starting the Balance Training & Fall Prevention program monitored by a licensed OSPTA physical therapist! Balance Training & Fall Prevention is available at ALL OSPTA locations that offer Physical Therapy!